Saturday, August 15, 2009

Bats in the Belfry

I have had a long history of bats in this house. About 9 years ago I hired a guy that I call the "Batman." He batproofed my house, and I was very grateful. Well I guess when you replace a roof, which I did a few years ago, the bat proofing is compromised. So now we have bats. I suspected them last fall, but didn't do anything about it. When we came back this spring I think we were in denial. I didn't see any evidence of bats until the night after all my friends left. I was watching TV late at night, and, low and behold, a bat started flying around. I found out from research and from the Batman that bats go into hibernation in the winter, birth their young in the spring and early summer, and about this time the young ones begin to learn to fly and find food themselves. They get confused and lose their way in and out of the attic, where they roost, and end up in the living area of your house. Not good. So that's what's happening now. We did find a sleeping bat in the living area the other night, woke it up, and caught it and put it outside. Now I have put a blanket up at the doorway to the basement to keep the bats from flying up into the living area. I figure they find a way through the walls from the attic to the basement, and then they fly up into the living area. So far this method is working. Hopefully the "Batman" will be here next week to rebatproof our house. That'll be a good thing. Here is the picture of the blanket up over the doorway. I just wish I had a video of us catching the bat. I'm sure we could win the $10,000 on the FHV show.

1 comment:

Linda on the Go said...

HOpe you got the bats out! It can be a little frightening with them flying around. I always heard they can get caught in your hair.

Linda