Sunday, August 15, 2010

GROUP Get-Together Aug. 2010

The first week in August my GROUP friends and I got together. We've been doing this since the 70's, and it's a very special time for us to bond, laugh, solve all the world's problems, and just enjoy being together. This year we met in Mason City.

The first day, before our friend, Polly, got there we all got pedicures. It was more for the bonding than anything, but it was fun. Marilyn, however, did not participate so she took a walk and read while she waited for us. She has the patience of gold. Here we are. NOtice the look alike shirts. We do this when we get together. These shirts were compliments of Marilyn who got them at a greatly reduced price. They are 2009 Pufferbilly Day shirts from Boone. Boone is our place where we all met. in the 70's.


Our pedicurists.




Our beautiful toes!!!!!! Guess which one is Marilyn's?

Another thing we like to do is go to second hand stores and antique stores. Sometimes you can find really good bargains.
Here Chris is measuring a recliner chair she was interested in. After she measured the width she asked me to measure how far it went back when it reclined. I have to admit I had a little senior moment to try to remember how to use the mechanical measuring tape. That did not go unnoticed. But I don't let anyone make fun of me so I stood up for myself, "OH SHUT UP!!!" Did I say that? I never say that. Oops yep, but sometimes that expression can have a good connotation. That 's what I really meant? Anyway I guess it became one of our themes for the rest of the visit. It was good for a few good laughs.

I was only going to take a picture of this picture that I loved, but I ended up buying it. It's just me. Swans, you know. And I got it for $10 which was 50% of the tagged price.

Here's Chris digging into her pocket book. She always can find good bargains. Gina helps.


Marilyn was finished so she found a comfy spot to sit and some good reading material .

Should I buy it?
Sure!!!!!


This is our view in the back of the house. It's like being in a beautiful garden because it is a beautiful garden.

Relaxing and reading a book for a little time out on the back porch. This is one of our favorite places to visit and have a bite to eat. There is also a beautiful view of the garden from the porch.


New mugs bought at the second hand store that were frosted and filled with ale. Don't they look happy?

This is our official GROUP shirt. She even has matching eyeglasses.
The next day, after Polly arrived, we visited this bed and breakfast (where the Clintons spent the night during a visit there). We got a tour, but I didn't get any pictures of the rooms.


Here we are in all our glory.

We actually visited the bed and breakfast because there is a bistro there where we ate a delicious lunch.

After lunch we visited the Meredith Wilson Museum and birth place. Mason City is River City. You know there's Trouble with a capital T in River City. The remedy is 76 trombones. It works.


Here we are with Meredith Wilson.












Here are our shadows on a walking bridge in the area where Frank Lloyd Wright has architectural influence.

Views from the same bridge.
Chris had to leave us because she had to go to her brother's wife's funeral in Minneapolis. But she allowed us to continue our visit after she had left. It wasn't the same without her, but we all understood.
We visited the Stockman House which is a house built by Frank Lloyd Wright. It was a very interesting tour.


Afterwards we spotted a rummage sale at at nearby church. We couln't resist. I bought a game called Loser and, yep, we had fun playing it that night. It's a game to get to know one another. Even after 35 years of knowing each other, I guess we learned some more about each other. Fun.


We also rented Music Man and watched it. It just seemed like the thing to do.

Before we left we cleaned up Chris's house since she was bringing home siblings for a visit after the funeral in MN. It was the least we could do to thank her for such a nice visit. Ty got along fine with me, but he always misses Chris when she leaves.

We always look forward to our visits. Where will we go next year?

No comments: