Friday, August 10, 2012

Buddy Run in Sioux Center


Saturday, Aug. 4, 2012 at 8:00 am was the official date and time of the 1st Annual Buddy Run in Haslet, TX which is a run to honor my nephew, Buddy, who, while running, was killed June 21, 2012 by a hit and run driver.   Bob and I met those interested in joining us at exactly that time.  The only problem was that it was actually raining here in Sioux Center which was very welcomed since we've been having quite a drought.  But it discouraged most everyone from coming except one of the official virtual runners who registered on line in time to have her shirt.  One other virtual runner who registered in time was unable to join us, but planned to do her run at another time.  

Here we are waiting in the car to see if anyone will come in the rain.
 My friend, Shari.






 Finally we decided to go to our gym, Snap Fitness, to run on a treadmill.




This shows that I have .11K left, and I've gone for 49 min. 40 sec.  I don't really know my final time, but this was close.  I think it was near 55  min.

Shari's digital read out shows 4.09 miles at 51.43.  She decided to run a full hour so she went over and beyond for buddy.
 You may be able to tell here that Shari is going faster than I am.  Oh I guess the digital read outs may indicate that too.


Although there weren't too many runners, there were still some very generous donors, and we received a total   of $355 extra in donations.  It is so nice to know there are people so willing to share and to help those who need their generosity to help them find a new normal in their lives as my Buddy's family are attempting to do.  Thank you to all those who participated and/or donated.

No comments: