Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Visit with Sister, Nancy, Monday in New York

When we visited my sister, Nancy, who lives in Brunswick, NJ, we made two trips into New York City to see the sites. This was our second visit with a posting of the first one to come later.

We decided to drive to Staten Island to catch the Staten Island Ferry after showing Bob where I went to high school there, Curtis High School. I used to walk up a very steep hill from the ferry to school every day. It was a hill that was painful to even walk down. I must have been in great shape then.

This is the ferry at the ferry station.




This is the Verazzano Narrows Bridge that connects Staten Island and Booklyn. They were building it while we were living there. It was very interesting to watch it being built. My dad was even part of the opening ceremony when they opened it up in 1967 or so.



Relaxing on the ferry. This is where I did my homework on the way to school.




These are pictures of Governor's Island where I lived with my family from 1962-1964. My parents didn't leave until about 1967 or so.






The Governor's Island Ferry. I rode this ferry to Manhattan and caught the Staten Island Ferry to get to school. The ferries passed the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island so I saw them every day. More later with Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island since we visited there the Friday we were there.

Ferry terminal. Drug dogs on the job.

We rode the subway to Grand Central Station.





Just outside Grand Central Station or at least close by.


Radio City Music Hall. We did not go there though. I have been there in the past.
NBC.


Rockefeller Center with the huge Christmas tree before they decorated it. It's behind the blue covering.


The opposite view from Rockefeller Center. Sitting for a rest or a pose.


St. Patrick's Cathedral. Wow!!!






I think this is the Metropolitan Museum of Art. We did not go in, but I was there in the 60's, and it is so interesting, and you can't even see it all in a day.
The New Year's Eve Ball at 42 nd Street.



Times Square and its info marque.

Olive Gardens everywhere.




Empire State Building.


The look atop the Empire State Building.




Christmas Decorations in the windows of stores downtown Manhattan. They are so neat, animated as well.




We caught the subway at Penn Station and took the subway to South Ferry station to catch the Staten Island Ferry back to the car. When we were leaving the subway, my sister noticed she did not have her purse so she ran back down and got back on the subway, which was still there, and went car to car looking for her purse. Off went the subway so we were there waiting for her to return. She did not find her purse, BUT when she returned to where we were, she got a phone call (luckily she still had her cell phone.) It was the police at Penn Station saying that a lady had found her purse on the subway and turned it in to them, and they drove from there to the ferry station to deliver it. Everything was in it, money and all. So we have a very good feeling about New Yorkers now. Nancy got the name of the lady who turned it in, and I'm sure she sent a great big thank you to her for turning in her purse. These are the stories that don't get reported and should.
We had a great time in New York. I wish I could have taken the picture of Lower Manhattan at night from the Staten Island Ferry. It's the best view in the world of New York City, but my camera was not able to get a good picture. I'm sure most of you have seen the view somewhere, but it is a great view at night.
Thank you, Nancy, for such a great visit into the city.

No comments: