Monday, March 29, 2010

Revisiting the Past at Ft. Sam Houston

Sunday after church and the church potluck and after we visited Susie's good friend's mother and taking her some food, we drove around San Antonio and Ft. Sam Houston to show Pat my old stomping grounds. We went by all the apts. and houses where we lived as a family or as I visited once my parents retired in San Antonio. Then we drove by the old hospital where I was born (should have taken a picture, but I didn't.) Then below you'll see pictures of one of the houses we lived in when we lived on the army post, Ft. Sam Houston. As you can see, it's a huge house. As luck would have it, the Col. who lives there now was out on the porch, and when I stopped to ask if I could take a picture he said, "Sure. And would you like to come in and see it?" What a bonus. I had many fond memories of that house so we took him up on the offer.

Here we are on the porch. Thanks to Pat for taking the picture.

This was taken in my bedroom.

This was looking down the hall. It used to end at a bathroom, but after renovations, it ends at the master suite, very nice.

This is the staircase leading up to the second floor.

There were two sitting rooms or living rooms, or parlors, or whatever you want to call them. As you walk in through the front door, one of the rooms is to one side and the other is on the other side.


This is the hallway leading to the kitchen and a family room. The family room at the very end used to be a separate maid's quarters with a bathroom which is where my brother's room was. After renovation, the wall that separated the maid's quarters was knocked out and the room became an extension of the first floor.

Col Miller was very gracious to allow us to come in and visit. He has been assigned many or the same places where we had been stationed so it was kind of fun to share.
After visiting the house, we went to the Quadrangle, the original "garrison" I guess. My father's office was one of the offices here. There are wild animals roaming the grounds, peacocks, ducks, deer, and squirrels. It brought back memories.






When we went by the chapel I mentioned that this was where I had been confirmed. We had a Lutheran chaplain so he did things the Lutheran way. I was confirmed before I was baptised. I think it all works though. Here you see that in the chapel you either go to the catholic mass, the protestant service or the Jewish service. That's what I did most of my growing up years so I was brought up a protestant and no particular denomination. There are some advantages to that I think.


No comments: