Sunday, September 11, 2011

Visit with Friend, Vera at Okoboji

It's hard to give up good ole summer days. That's what my friend, Vera, and I thought. Vera is a friend with whom I went to Costa Rico in the 90's and is a recently retired school counselor. It was time for us to get together and catch up on our lives, and we did that at her place at Okoboji and while enjoying her boat on the lake. I think we talked non stop, never running out of things to talk about. It was beautiful weather and a great time.

Relaxing on the boat.
Before we took off on the boat, Vera warned me that it might be a little extra work to get the boat on the lift, but not to worry. Well, when we got back to the lift, everything was going smoothly. Vera was in the boat, and I was pulling the automatic lever to lift the hoist. All of a sudden the hoist started tilting and the boat was about to go into the water stern first. Not good. So I grabbed the lift to try to keep it level. Then Vera got out, and we had to decide what to do. We called her husband when we determined there was not electricity going to the hoist. We took turns standing, sitting, or just keeping the hoist level while the other one did things to check out possibilities. Finally her husband said to check to see if there was a reset button, and luckily that was the magic we needed to be successful getting the boat on correctly. We worked well as a team to figure out and solve the problem. I was just glad I didn't have to spend the night standing on the lift to keep it all level. All's well that ends well.

No comments: